Apply for NCRG Funding
The National Center for Responsible Gaming (NCRG) is pleased to announce the availability of research grants for the study of gambling problems and disorder. In 2015, the NCRG grant funding will focus on investigations of SBIRT (screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment) in order to improve identification of disordered gamblers, explore the efficacy of brief interventions for this population and increase the rate of disordered gamblers referred to treatment.
Types of Research Projects Eligible for Support
The NCRG is open to a wide variety of proposals for research in this area provided they are focused on adult populations. Because a key aspect of SBIRT is the integration and coordination of screening, early intervention, and referral to treatment, NCRG welcomes proposals that involve collaboration between academic institutions and healthcare providers, such as hospitals, as well as state and local departments of public health. Also, proposals need not address all of the SBIRT components. Ongoing research projects focused on SBIRT for clinical disorders such as substance abuse are encouraged to apply for funds to incorporate gambling disorder into existing investigations.
Applicants may apply for SBIRT projects through either the Large Grant or Seed Grant funding mechanisms. (See deadlines below.)
Examples of projects include the following:
- Focus on subpopulations such as older adults and minorities
- Investigations of the efficacy of brief interventions such as motivational enhancement, Web-based screening and brief intervention and self-help manuals
- SBIRT program development
- Workforce capacity building
For more information about the SBIRT funding priority download the 2015 Grants Announcement.
Although SBIRT is the funding priority for 2015, applicants interested in focusing on other topics on gambling disorder are welcome to apply. Visit the NCRG-Funded Research page to see descriptions of grants funded since 1996.
Project Grant Categories
The NCRG awards grants in the following categories:
- Travel Grants (up to $1,500 for one year)
- Seed Grants (up to $30,000 for one year)
- Large Grants (up to $75,000 per year for two years)
Application materials and more information about each of these funding opportunities are available via the links on the right.
2015 Application Deadlines
|Grant||Letter of Intent
|Travel Grant||N/A||Ongoing||1 month||3-4|
|Seed Grant||N/A||Sept. 1, 2015||2 months||5-6|
|Large Grant||May 1, 2015||August 3, 2015||3 months||3|
Application Announcements and Forms
To apply for NCRG grant opportunities, applicants will need to download and submit the following materials:
- Grant Application Instructions and Forms: go the specific grant category listed on the menu bar to the right or in the deadline table above.
- Biosketch form: Applicants may also use the NIH Biosketch Form.
- Targeted/Planned Enrollment Form: required of applicants involving human
To stay up-to-date on upcoming funding opportunities, send your contact information to Nathan Smith, program officer for the NCRG, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-338-6610.